Wednesday, July 4, 2012

2000 Taps ---> 1lb. Honey

It's been four days since my last post, which drives me crazy.  Only four days, I know, but it feels like forever. I've actually tried writing about 3 times, and none of it I liked or it didn't go anywhere or I couldn't say anything right or it was a rant of some sort. You writers understand.

Knowing if I didn't write something soon, I'd go insane, I headed to my trusty friend, the Lifeteen website, for some ideas. On their site, they have this "fun fact" every day. Today's fun fact was something along the lines of "It takes a bee 2,000 taps of nectar to make one pound of honey."

To us, a pound doesn't seem like that much. Unless of course, we're buying something. Then it's expensive as heck. But in general, a pound? Psh. My sister could easily contain fifty pounds of honey.

But to a bee. A pound of honey is a heck of a lot. They worked so hard to get that one pound of honey. I don't know how long it takes to get those 2000 taps of honey, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a day job. It probably took days, maybe weeks for a bunch of bees to carry it out.

Now, I'm really not a fan of bees. They fly and buzz and sting, but I have to admire their work ethic. They just keep going and going no matter what. They mind their own business--unlike their cousin, the wasp--and actually do something useful for the rest of the world. But back to the work ethic.

2000 taps of nectar must take a long time. How many taps you think they do in a day? Fifty? A hundred? I'm assuming that a tap means a visit to a flower or nectar source. More or less, I don't know. I'm not a bee expert and my computer runs to slow for me to begin to feel curious enough for me to look it up. Let's say they do fifty a day. That's 100 every 2 days, and 1000 every 20 days--if they're lucky. They're probably revisiting the same flowers and places everyday to get that much. That probably gets drab and boring and tiring, but still they keep chugging along! They're determined to get to that 2000 taps so they can make that honey!

They say that a bunch of little things make one big thing. 2000 taps make one beautiful pound of honey.

You getting that feeling yet? That "Oh heavens, she's going to call a 'Metaphor Meeting'" feeling? If you had it, chocolate for you, because you're right!

Honey is the goal for the bees. What's our honey?

I suppose our immediate Christian answer is to "live life for God!" or some variation. That's a good answer, not saying anything against it, and if something different came immediately to mind, I won't kill you either. And short term goals? Got any? You must. We all do.


In the next 9 months (we're in month 2 now, remember?) I want to:


Become closer to Jesus, through Mary
pass all 3 of my AP classes with flying colors 
get a laptop 
decide what I want to do with my life
figure out what God wants me to do with my life
learn, love, and live 


That's a lot to do, and it'll probably require much more than 2000 nectar taps. But that's the honey, and I've got to get it somehow. Honey doesn't make itself, you know. 


Also, Happy 4th of July!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment