Friday, July 13, 2012

Prince Charming vs. Soul Mates

So, I mentioned 2 posts ago that I don't believe in "Prince Charming"'s. This is why.

Prince Charming. Think about your dream guy. Looks, character, the way you look into his eyes and know that he knows exactly what you're thinking; the way you know he'd never, ever do anything to hurt you. He's perfect, right? Unfortunately, perfect people don't exist. Us melodramatic romantics--I say 'us' because I'm one of them--will expect some kind of "dark" past that he's overcome. He once was imperfect, but now he's perfect.

Perfect don't exist, honey. Sorry to burst my own bubble, but it just doesn't. There are these things called flaws that makes the human race imperfect.

Prince Charming creates the mental image of a perfect man. And there is no perfect man, except Jesus. So, perhaps He's the Prince Charming we want to complete us, which is accurate. Perhaps I believe in only one Prince Charming, eh? We long for a Prince Charming, and we have one. Even St. Augustine said, "My heart is restless until I rest in You." or something like that.

Now, having said all that, is anyone wondering why I believe in soul mates?

Because soul mates don't create an image of perfection. They create an image of someone who is perfect for you, and vise-versa. I also believe that you don't have to marry your soul mate. Soul mates are not always your "happy ever ever true love of the opposite sex". I believe that we can find friends, too, that are soul mates. Friends that just really get us and put up with us and understand, which if you get down to it, a best friend is the basis for a true love relationship.


I like to say that my mom and one of her closest girlfriends are soul mates. They're practically long lost twins, no joke. They clicked within minutes of meeting, and can talk and talk and talk. They once met for lunch at 11am, and my mom didn't return home until close to 6pm because they'd lost track of time. It was really very funny once my mom pulled into the driveway and explained why she was four hours late. They just talked and talked and talked about everything under the sun, with the kitchen sink, probably. There's a joke that they have to take a timer with them so that we don't have a repeat. 


So, there you have it! My prejudice explained. And besides, even if I had my choice between Prince Charming and Soul Mate, soul mate any day.  













No comments:

Post a Comment