Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Brothers vs. Boys

My sister posted a sign above her bed. The sign says: NO BOYS ALLOWED ON MY BED

Of course the youngest of us, Cricket, was on her bed in a heartbeat after she made the announcement to the family. She cried. And she cried even harder when my mom said," Sam, brothers and boys are not the same thing."

Sam did not see the truth in that statement.

Perhaps it sounds strange, but I, for one, do not want to date, court, or marry a boy.

Boys imply immaturity, irresponsibility, and an undeveloped emotional and spiritual mind. Age does not determine maturity, I believe, and so just because age deems a male a man, it does not mean he isn't a boy at mind.

There is a reason that monks are called brothers. It is because a brother is supposed to respect and honor his sisters and mother. A brother knows his sisters and treats them with the respect they deserve. He honors his mother. A brother also respects his fellow brothers and his father.

By brothers and sisters, I do not s ply mean biological siblings; I mean spiritual siblings, too. I feel the same way about girls vs. sisters as I do about boys vs. brothers. I do not want to be a girl. I want to be a sister.

By this point, you're probably thinking that I am completely nuts. Maybe you're right. I don't think it changes the point that if you "want a worthy man? Choose your brother."

Okay, that sounded a little weird, but I think you get the point.

Brothers > Boys

No comments:

Post a Comment