Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A Unicorn Among Us

Okay, I'm going to through a question out there. I don't want anyone to run away or scream "BLASPHEMY" or reread it four or fives times.

But, what if Mother Mary was a unicorn?

In really old stories, there is traditionally only 1 unicorn, always white to symbolize its purity. The unicorn roams the earth watching over the natural world and the human race. Through the centuries, the unicorn was seen in different colors, sizes, and shapes, even with different names and stories. But it was still a unicorn. Sound familiar?

This idea came to me only this morning as I was praying the "Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary". I was reading one of Saint Anselm's sermons and he was creating the image of a paradox with the whole "Mary gave birth to the one who created her" scenario, which is both confusing and perfectly clear simultaneously. Somewhere in there my mind drifted a bit, and suddenly the Mary and the unicorn idea just went "BOOM".

No, I'm not literally saying Mary is a mythical horse with a horn and magical powers. After 20 posts, you should know me better than that. Although this isn't a metaphor meeting, it's a simile showdown.

Mary was the purest woman ever to walk the earth. The unicorn is the purest creature to walk the earth, symbolized by its traditionally white coat.

Mary watched over her Son during her days here, and now in Heaven she watches over all her human children. The unicorn watches over the earth to keep disaster from occurring, and is often the purifier of corrupted water, forests, valleys, crops, etc. and the protector of children.

Mary has 12 Queenly titles along with countless Our Lady titles, like Our Lady Star of the Sea, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Our Lady of Lourdes, and Our Lady of Guadalupe. The unicorn has been called the rhinoceros, xie zhi, kirin, kirin, oryx, lord of the desert, and aurochs.

Make sense? It did to me, but I'm kind of wacko, so that means little, I suppose.

Mary as a Unicorn. Pretty image.




Unicorn Names: http://www.dianapeterfreund.com/books/unicorns/research/


1 comment:

  1. That IS a pretty image, and it actually made a lot of sense to me. Cool stuff! <3

    ReplyDelete